Informative Speech Examples
An informative speech is a speaker addressing an individual or several people and talking about an important topic of interest. It works to convey valuable information to the listener and help them understand and remember it.
Informative Speech Topics Examples
Informative Speeches can be about anything:
School, work, sports, travel, ecology, reading.
When writing your speech, there aren't any limits to the topic of discussion. Here are some short informative speech examples:
Our first informative speech sample is a public Centre addressing the new garbage collection routine:
Orange County government has strived over the years to provide an alternative way of life to its citizens. We have always believed that we should be transparent in what we do and what choices we make on behalf of all of you. That is why I, your Mayor, want to talk about the new plan we have for garbage pickup. Instead of just Wednesday, we want garbage to be collected twice a week - on Monday and Thursday. This decision was made by analyzing the shopping habits of every person in Town. During our research, we found out that not only does garbage pile up over seven days it isn't picked up; but also some people, in a desperate attempt to get rid of their trash, have been throwing it out in various places.
Or, here is another informative speech example of a friend talking to her peers about a concert:
Silky Pumpkins are having a concert, and I believe we should go. Think about it guys, a whole weekend of rock in Las Vegas! It's an opportunity that comes once in a lifetime. I know you like their music as much as I do. After all, they've been releasing a new album every year, and their songs have been getting better and better.
I already checked the hotel and tickets, and we can afford it as long as we stay in one room. That's not that big of a problem. We've known each other since we were kids.
The last of our informative speech samples is a video game designer talking about an upcoming new game in a series:
Splash Kingdom has been a work in progress for two years. Myself, Josh, and the rest of the crew have been working very hard to make the game stand out from the rest of our current projects, and we believe we've done it. Splash Kingdom is a new and innovative mobile game that centers around player choice. We think it's imperative to give back the power of choice to our players. The new interactive storytelling system we developed does exactly that - a chance to change the story. We hired several writers who developed alternative endings and branching paths to maximize this new system. Whenever a player makes a choice, an algorithm decides where the next action will happen on a world map. The possibilities are endless!
All of these informative speech examples have one thing in common. Every speaker is passionate about the subject. Be it garbage collection, concert, or a new video game, the speaker enjoys the subject and holds it dear to heart.
How to write an informative speech: samples and tips
Decide on your Topic
Think about topics you like and things you're good at. Write down a list of subjects like this one:
Then, do some research on all of them. Read articles online and talk to people who share your excitement. If possible, interview people in the industry (like Chefs or Artists). Get their point of view and what they've done through their career.
Start with a general subject that is broad and easy to work with. Try to remember things you found interesting in high school that you would like to learn more about now. The more time you spend researching, the easier it will be to write your speech. If your speech is good, you will probably end up giving it or hearing it more than once in the future. Spend enough time writing and do not take any shortcuts. For instance, if you are going to talk about fishing, make sure you identify different types of fish and what bait works best on each of them. Even if you think you know everything about a subject, still do the research. You never know when something new pops out.
Narrow down your general subjects into topics
Once you've identified some exciting subjects, try to narrow them down as much as you can. Let's say you're interested in Arts:
Arts - Famous Artists - Famous Paintings - The Mona Lisa
This is just an example, but the process should go something like that. Narrowing down your subject into more manageable smaller topics is important, so you know what to focus on. Writing about Art
itself will be too grand of an undertaking, and it will take you months of preparation. Your speech will end up the size of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.
As you narrow down the topic, try to find interesting and not so well known facts that you can include in your final speech. If you focus on general ideas that everyone knows, your whole speech will be dull and boring.
Form your Thesis
A thesis is just a single sentence that expresses what you are going to talk about. Using your researched topic, try to come up with an interesting thesis. For example:
Michelangelo's paintings were drawn using a special type of paint that he made himself, similar to the way independent artists these days create their own blends.
Here you have narrowed down your topic to custom made paint. This is a fascinating subject because, to be fair, not a lot of people know how paint is made. People who come to listen to your speech will be interested in arts so you will be presenting your subject to people with similar interests.
Consider your audience
It's best to assume that your audience knows nothing about a chosen subject. Even if they do, you will have new things to tell them. With that in mind, you might want to prepare some background information to ease people into the facts. Some useful background information can be historical facts or famous people who practiced it.
Outline your speech
Once you've chosen your topic and done most of your research, try to put it into a well-organized order. Including your thesis, build well-transitioned paragraphs that flow well together. If you are writing about cooking, outline the steps necessary for your selected recipe. Why does milk have to be hot when making mashed potatoes? Do you boil or bake potatoes and which one is more optimal? This sort of information might be obvious for you but for your audience, it may be new and exciting.
Write an introduction
Combine your thesis with a few words to ease your listeners into the topic. Here you can include background information for the time period and some interesting facts. For example:
The tropical bird is disappearing because of deforestation. A hundred years ago they were quite common in North America. With the development of newer factories, however, their homes have been destroyed, and the tropical bird has had to relocate to other places. This led to a change in their diet and an overall decrease in fertility for the females. They aren't extinct, not yet, but if this deforestation continues, and we attack their new homes, we might endanger and eventually wipe out the entire species.
It's up to you how your introduction will sound. You can open with a joke to ease the listener into a more serious discussion, or you can tell them a story. It all depends on the topic and the seriousness of the debate.
Expand an outline to form the body of your informative speech
Once you know for certain what you will be writing about and your topic is solid, start combining the outline to form the body of your speech. The body is the meat of the whole speech. It is where all the details and arguments go. The body should be built out of several paragraphs that tell your main point. A rule of thumb is that the body should contain three points:
- Facts + Information
- Facts + Results
These are just sample constructions. You can alter and add necessary part as you see fit.
Write the conclusion
Your conclusion should summarize all of your points until now and elaborate on your plan of action. A solid introduction if one of those things that make a difference between good examples of an informative speech and no-so-good-ones. So, if you've been talking about Art and painting supplies, summarize the different processes used in the making of paint and remind people of any steps that you have taken. You should also tie your conclusion to the introduction (to emphasize your point). If you open with painting through the ages, try to conclude with an example of the way that painting has evolved.
Finally, open the floor to discussion. Set aside a few minutes to answer questions and hear from the audience. Most times this is when a speech shines, and you see how well the audience has soaked up the information. As a bonus, you might get useful feedback in your writing, presentation and speaking skills that you can use in future projects.
List of Informative Speech Topics
- Why travel is beneficial to education.
- How to save money on your income taxes.
- How Many Hours Should You Spend In The Gym?
- Effective Methods Of Losing Weight Without Straining Your Body
- The process of buying a house.
- How To Cure Depression And Anxiety
- How To Deal With Conflicts In Your Workplace
- Why lying well can be useful
- Defining A Computer Virus
- My worst embarrassing experience
- Psychological tactics in marketing.
- Which Are The Most Nutritious Fruits Today?
- The best investment strategies.
- Bat sleeps upside down: what are the reasons?
- Dangers Of Nicotine In The Body
- New technologies
- How to be the favorite person of everybody
- The benefits of enterprise resource planning.
- Have you even compared crocodiles with alligators?
- How to behave with kids when they are learning to speak?
- 5 sure-to-impress excuses for not handing in your homework (getting to work on time, coming home on time…)
- A thorough discussion on Charles Darwin’s contribution to Biology
- Long-Term Effects Of Genocide In Rwanda
- What are Mormon values?
- Discussion on some of the fascinating facts about Noah’s Ark
- Decline and fall of the Roman Empire
- What factors affect community participation in public meetings?
- How to create a successful brand.
- How to successfully fail your exams
- The three branches of U.S. government
- The six wives of Henry 8th
- Roadside attractions
- How to save money in college.
- The role of accounting in the control of public expenditures in Nigeria.
- Biological Warfare And Its Consequences
- Speeding cameras are meant to provide the government money.
- Causes Of The War In The Middle East
- My secret life as Mr Magic (Miss Universe…)
- Life and Works of Mother Teresa.
- The importance of accounting research.
- The Essence Of Having An Analytical Section In Any Business Essay
- Chinese food
- Life and Works of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Powerful Communication.
- Is Iran The Source Of War In The World?
- How to procrastinate like a professional – ten top tips
- Social Networking
- What are the plants that grows healthy even indoors
- What is the process of chocolate preparation?
- Simple Techniques Of Avoiding Marketing Errors
- Handling Responsibility.
- Foster care and its historical evolution
- What is the appropriate age at which infants start speaking?
- How to nail the negotiation in your first meeting.
- Revelation versus Genesis
- List of Informative Speech Topics
- How to successfully annoy your parents (co-workers, friends…)
- Comment your take on the Rastafarian Religious movement
- Best Marketing Tips For A Shoe Company
- Common behavioral aspects between two sisters or two brothers
- Journalism is our weapon against corruption.
- Interesting Things You Didn’t Know About The Human Brain
- Developing personal power in an organization.
- Does China have a serious stock market?
- How nuclear power works
- Roadside attractions
- Tracing The Future Of Space Science And Exploration
- Importance of Discipline.
- Why Is Milk Considered A Balanced Diet On Its Own?
- How Is Social Media Changing Our Lives
- Believing in Yourself.
- Trends in the stock market
- The Federal government’s separation of powers.
- Being a Positive Talker.
- The Importance Of Being A Vegetarian
- How to apply for a credit card.
- How to start a good personal inventory
- International Response To Cases Of War
- The secrets your choice of hobby reveal
- Do you know the origin of dogs?
- Use Of Social Media In Business Marketing
- History of a favorite product brand
- Description of life in another country
- How banks are getting paid twice for your mortgage.
- What winners do to win?
- Why should hunting need to be prohibited?
- The biography of your favorite actor
- The Future Of GMO’s In Agriculture
- How to look intelligent
- How is Christianity different from other religions?
- Significance of the attachment between parent and their child
- What are primary reasons for which you think Satanist cults are not bad
- Irrigation Farming Techniques In The Middle East
- Why Is There Heated Tension Between The United States Of America And North Korea
- Has humanity stopped evolving?
- Scientific reasons behind the upside down sleeping style of bats
- Near death experiences
- Why human toenails do not have hair?
- How To Fix A Consistent Exercise Program In Your Daily Routine
- How to read a map
- How a bill passes in state government.
- How roads are built
- What is the impact of training and development on employee job performance?
- The telegraph: the ‘internet’ of the 19th Century
- Do you nicotine can be isolated from tobacco?
- How to get others to do your work for you without them knowing
- Know how to protect yourself from a shark attack
- Weight Issues.
- Do you know the chemical reactions that has undergone during the birth of galaxy?
- What Should You Consider While Arranging An Ad Campaign?
- Should You Include An Advertising Topic In Your Company’s Primary Activity?
- Finite details about Albert Einstein’s achievements
- Different stages of poverty
- Should the President be paid while being in office?
- Christianity isn’t a religion, it is a home to many
- Know how divorce between parents affects a child’s life
- Benefits of DNA proof: How does it help in identification?
- Suspicion And Lack Of Trust During The Cold War
- How Does Self-motivation Work?
- How to recognize stock market trends.
- Does a sense of superiority comes among the children when they have a sibling
- Tips on how do deal with money problems.
- Engaged employees result in high retention.
- How to tell if your cat (dog, goldfish…) needs counselling
- How to live on $5 a day/ Eating well on $5 a day.
- The top 3 strangest hobbies
- Methods Of Determining The Most Effective And Appropriate Marketing Strategy
- Smoking And Why It’s An Awful Habit
- How the US Dollar affects the Euro.
- Being Optimistic in Life.
- Earthquake forecasts have reached a greater height in term of inventions
- Being Confident.
- The Importance Of Eating Healthy Food
- Know about the percentage of brain that is actually in use
- The story of how your school was founded
- The basics of financial aid.
- The Seven Wonders of the World
- 1066 and all that
- A suitable punishment guideline should be sanctioned by the government for parental carelessness
- Leadership styles and their effects on employee productivity.
- The best sales tactics.
- Understanding The Culture Of Violence In Iran
- Unethical Advertising Content
- How the Earth was formed
- A Scientific And Ethical Perspective On The Developments Of Human Cloning
- Consequences Of The War In Darfur On The Citizens
- The importance of saving money.
- The basics of internet banking safety.
- Adopted kids should be allowed to meet their progenitors if they wish to do so
- How difficult is it to run a country of 1.2 billion people?
- The history of our currency.
- Do you know the story behind the birth of Christianity?
- Growth Of Robotics
- The history of comic books
- The spanish civil war
- Funeral oration
- What are factors a new fangled parent must think of before selecting their child’s name
- What Role Does An Advertising Thesis Play In A Marketing Campaign
- The best city planning practices.
- Often fathers are role model for their daughters
- What are the most recent developments in astronomy?
- Local folklore
- A detailed analysis of the similarities and distinctions between different religions
- Helen Keller’s Life.
- Who invented the internet?
- What Causes Obesity?
- Do you know your body language discloses the hardest hidden secrets about yourself?
- What’s The Future Of Artificial Intelligence
- Crisis every single parent faces on a daily basis and its influence on the child
- Importance of Meditation.
- The benefits of multilevel marketing.
- The beauty of wolves
- Rabbit is a symbol of Easter
- Impacts of incentives on employee performance.
- Why junk food is good for you
- In what ways music influences our brain
- Debt relief programs.
- Five ways to test if your friends are really your friends
- Real life vampires
- Household brutality: Scenarios, causes and reasoning
- How Have Global Corporations Influenced People’s Decisions?
- Causes Of The First And Second World War
- How Can We Continue Benefiting From The World Wide Web
- People Who Changed the World.
- Do you believe in the existence of Jesus still today?
- How business owners’ personal characteristics impact their business.
- What are the ground rules of Christianity?
- Roman military hardware
- How to build credit.
- How Does Conflict Affect Both The Powerless And The Powerful
- Breaking Bad Habits.
- The rise of Nazism
- Chronology of the Bible: A pure discussion
- Negative And Positive Effects Of Online Marketing
- Taking your brand to the next level with three easy steps: promoting, advertising and marketing.
- Genius: Facts and truths about being a genius
- Professional baseball stadiums
- The history of your hometown
- The Gettysburg address